Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Special Post

Hi everyone!


Today is a very special post and project I'm sharing.


Most of you know me by now....short and to the point posts and very rarely do I actually post something about my personal life.  I'm not one for posting personal matters for attention or airing my laundry for all to see.  Today I'm sharing something going on in my life....

A few weeks ago my mommom (grandmother) was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 77.  This is the first we have come across breast cancer in our family so it shook us all.

Because of her age, her heart and the medications that she's on, the doctors decided no chemo.  She under went a partial mastectomy and began radiation on Wednesday.  She will do this 5 times a week for 6 weeks.  I'm the one that takes her back and forth and we are already getting into a nice routine.  Mommom has been a trooper through the whole thing and her one request was that when she is done we take her to the beach lol.

As for my project....
My mommom wanted to mark on a calendar the countdown to the day she finishes radiation.  I told her I could do something better.....




Recipe:
Papers are from stash
30 Boxes & More from My Scrap Chick
Ribbon Shaped Card from The Cutting Cafe
Posy twine from Trendy Twine




Each day when my mommom comes home from radiation starting tomorrow she will pull off a ribbon.  Each ribbon has something simple written to her from the family.  Jokes and words of encouragement :)




Thank you so much for stopping by today!



Have a fabulous crafty day!

17 comments:

Sarah said...

Prayers to your grandmother-- she sounds like an awesome woman! I am sure she will LOVE this countdown!

jessica said...

Ashley~ thanks so much for sharing this with us! I will continue to keep your grandmother in my prayers! What a GREAT way to display a count down! Not only does she have something so beautiful but with all the family messages that makes it even more special! Sending her lots of love and a toast to the beach!!

Kimberly Pate | KP Kre8tions said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I know the horrible feeling that comes along with this. My grandmother had breast cancer and a few years past my sister was also found to have cancer. This is a great project ~ and anything Pink ribbon quickly catches my eye.

Thank you for sharing your story and your project. My prayers to you and your family for strength through the whole process.

Jennifer Scull said...

this is such a wonderful, thoughful project that will bring so much joy to your grandmother! I love everything about it!

I am supposed to start radiation sometime in the next month or two. my prayers are with your grandmother as she battles this awful cancer monster, as well as with the rest of your family.

Kate said...

This is so sweet. I'm sure your grandma just love this and is keeping her in high spirits. Thank you for sharing your story with us. My prayers are with your Grandma and the family.

recollectionalley said...

Thank you for sharing with us. What a wonderful project, I agree, much better than a calendar. You are a very special granddaughter! Keeping you and your family in my prayers.

Janea

kim.scrapper said...

What a sweet hanging you made and such a thoughtful idea to include quotes, etc... A good friend of mine just went through the same thing and we all took pictures wearing our pink shirts and flooded her email boxes with photos and well wishes from all across the country. We sent them to her on the a.m. of her first radiation treatment, she was so moved. Best of luck to your grandmother!

Daisylove Creations said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother having this terrible disease. I'm sure this will keep her spirits lifted while she goes though this very difficult time! It is a very beautiful project and thanks for sharing your story with all of us. My prayers are with your Grandma and your whole family. Many blessings sent your way!
Diana
daisylovecreations.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I am truly sorry to hear about your "mommom"! I bt she is looking forward to the beach.This is such an awesome idea and very uplifting. The jokes and words of encouragement are the best part of it all. Stay strong, think positive, and look forward.

kkayskreations.blogspot.cm

Gloria said...

This is beautiful Ashley! Your mommom will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Precious Hugs
OmaGloria

Kim Ricketts said...

Thoughts and prayers for your Grandma, You and your family! I love this project idea! I have to keep it in mind for sure! You are very creative!

~Kim

Claire Spielman said...

Oh Ashley, I'm sitting her with goose bumps reading your heartfelt posting. My thoughts and prayers and hopes are with you and your Grand mother. I think your project is so touching and meaningful for her and for all those that share in it. Please keep us posted as to her progress. Would it be possible for us to send her some uplifting cards?
Creative Wishes,
Claire S.

Unknown said...

Ashley,

I am so very sorry to hear about your mommom. My Babci was just diagnosed in January and it has been a hell of a ride for her! I will pray for your mommom and that she finds the stregth to get better soon!!

Crafty Hugs,
Jessica
www.craftinandstampin.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

My thoughts and prayers are with your Mommom, Ashley. Praying for a speedy recovery. Your banner calendar is so creative and fabulous!! And how thoughtful for each ribbon to have a personalized message!! :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

rlovew said...

Prayers for your grandmother. My father has been fighting breast cancer for 3 years now and I know how hard it is as well as the importance of having support. You banner and he ribbons are cute.

Esther said...

Ashley, this is an awesome project!!!!!
I am a ten year survivor as of this summer. I can tell you I would have loved this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Esther said...

PS You should enter this in our challenge over at Link Up For Pink - http://www.linkupforpink.com/2012/07/lufp-challenge-no-4.html