Sunday, October 7, 2012

Witch Shape Card (Step By Step Sunday)

Hi everyone!

Hope your weekend has been great.  Mine has been awesome!  I did a 5k yesterday for breast cancer so that was fun :)  Sorry I've been MIA.  Things have been so hectic around here.


Anywho.....
I decided to start a series called Step By Step Sunday.  Just as the title says every Sunday I will have a step by step on mostly cards but I may throw some surprises in there.  For the most part I will work in Silhouette but I will share what I create in SCAL3.  I do not have MTC but if you have any questions I can help as best as I can for you MTC users.  If there is something in particular you want to see, let me know :) Youtube videos may be in the works soon as well if I can get over my video fear lol.


So lets get started.  Warning, these Step By Step Sunday posts will be very picture heavy so if you are only interested in seeing the end project, scroll to the bottom....

I decided this week I would work completely with cuts and shapes from the Silhouette software and from the store.

I wanted a witch shaped card so went with this pattern from the Silhouette store...






Not realizing when I bought it, I noticed that it was more or less a place card.  Very cool but not what I'm looking for with this card so when I select the witch I get the separated pieces and delete the card....




From here I decided ultimately that I wanted to use a Peachy Keen Stamp so I decided to delete the the eyes and mouth.  After deleting the eyes and mouth, I put everything together.  Small at the moment but this was just to see how it all looked together...




At this time I put the square in that would be where my sentiment would go.  You can use a shape from your library (if you are using SCAL or MTC) or with Silhouette software you can create a rectangle which is what I did.  I scaled it to the size I wanted and placed it below the witch to create the peeker effect...




After having my card put together, I sized it to my liking...actually didn't size it that much I didn't want a large card.  Make sure you have everything highlighted when sizing, if something is missing it will not match the rest and your card will not come out right.  From here I selected the whole piece again (#1) and selected Offset (#2)...




The offset shape will look like this...





What I do next is cut the offset shape, create a new drawing and paste.  From there I copy and paste to create the second base shape.  Select the shape (#1).  Right click and select Flip Vertically (#2).  From there the shape will flip and that will eventually be the back of the card...




I put the shapes together so that they joined where I wanted the fold of the card.  From here, I selected both pieces (#1) and then selected Weld (#2)...




The base of the card has been created...






Finally I separated all the pieces and cut them out.  I checked on placement to make sure I was happy with everything.  Once I was pretty happy with placement, I got to inking and gluing.


The end result...


For the card....my papers are from my stash and K & Company Ghostly Greetings.  The face is from Peachy Keen Stamps Wide Eyed Kids Face Assortment.  I used Best Witches stamp set from Jaded Blossom for the sentiment.  The twine is Grape Fizz from Trendy Twine.  I also used a white gel pen and VersaFine in Onyx Black.



Thanks for visiting and checking out the step by step.  I will have another step by step next Sunday :)


Have a fabulous crafty day!





13 comments:

SiskiyouSue said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Cute, cute, cute!

Debbie said...

your card is really cute, thanks so much for the Sunday Tutorial's this is going to be lots of fun and very helpful as well thanks again
Debbie

Annie's Paper Boutique | Trendy Twine said...

Very cute card, Ashley. Great tutorial for people to follow along.

Thanks for the touch of Trendy Twine.

Lesley @ Trendy Twine

sarah said...

This is such a cute card...TFS & tutorial...:)

Kate said...

This is just too cute. Thank you so much for starting this tutorial. It really helps.

Hope your enjoying your weekend.

Lisa said...

This is so adorable!! What a fun card!! You really make me wish I had a Silhouette!! Your tutorial is fabulous!! Congrats on the 5K :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

snappy scrappy said...

So adorable! Lee-Ann :)

Claire Spielman said...

Seriously CUTE!! Thanks for the tutorial on welding it! I know officially give you the patent on PERFECT STITCH MARKS!
Creative Wishes,
Claire S.
www.scrapmyway.blogspot.com

Liz said...

Cute card. Thanks for the step by step, I am so leaning towards a cameo, but I am worried that the software will be hard to learn, I've gotten pretty good at SCAL, but it's taken me awhile. I really like the "offset" feature to get the outside shape. Thanks for the tut

Liz

Daisylove Creations said...

Another awesome card Ashley!! Thank you, thank you, thank you for the tutorial!! I have always loved your cards and wondered how you made the base of your shaped cards. Looking forward to more tutorials :0)
Diana
daisylovecreations.blogspot.com

Ruthie @ SeptemberNinth said...

Hi Ashley!

Your card is sooooo cute! Your tutorial was great too!

Ruthie :)

Tanya~Studio 5380 said...

Too, too cute! That little witch is just adorable and I love the shape! Thanks for sharing such a great tutorial!

NannieLeslie the Crafter said...

Like the tutorial. I ordered a Cameo hope to get it soon. I'm new to this die cutting machine. I like the designs that is one reason for the purchase. I hope it is not to hard. I look forward to the Sunday tutorials. Thanks

Leslie